Get to the Point! How to coach your speakersto make points clearly and convincingly through effective public speaking techniques
The full content of this page is available to members only.
Great public speakers aren't born; they're trained. Leveraging his professional and competitive experience, Joel Schwartzberg, senior director of strategic and executive communications for the ASPCA, will share nuts-and-bolts techniques for becoming a more confident and competent public speaker. Attendees will have the opportunity to practice what they've learned and participate in skill-building exercises that connect with their expertise.
- Identify, sharpen and effectively sell a point
- Captivate and engage an audience
- Use "Power Periods," volume and pauses to enhance points
- Walk, gesture and position one's body to convey strength
- Avoid weak habits like uptalk, vocal fry, and power fail
- Interact effectively with both notes and PowerPoint presentations
- Mitigate public speaking anxiety
Joel Schwartzberg is senior director of strategic and executive communications for the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). He also teaches public presentation classes for clients including American Express, Comedy Central, the Brennan Center for Justice, and the American Jewish Committee.