The larger an organization gets, the harder it must work to connect with employees. With nearly 40,000 employees around the globe, Cigna has faced challenges in keeping co-workers connected, just like every other large organization. Over the past few years, it has put a lot of work and intention into internal social channels. By giving employees a voice and providing a reason to check in, Cigna has created a culture of community and support that translates into taking better care of its external customers.
- Decide what types of content to place on your internal social channels based on employee needs
- Jump-start engagement when little to no interaction is going on.
- Balance the push from leadership to use a successful channel against the need for a space where employees drive conversations
- Integrate cross-platform messages to yield a broader effect
- Accept when you’ve screwed something up—then make a plan to fix it