Media Training Your Top Executives
The full content of this page is available to members only.
Leaders of companies and organizations are busy. We know that—but we also know that cultivating media skills is a smart use of their valuable time. Excellent interviews don’t just happen; they take work. Gain insight into how to create and run an engaging media training program—and show leaders the importance of taking part in such training. You’ll participate in mock interviews that will help you prepare spokespeople for even the toughest questions.
You’ll learn how to:
- Sell the need for regular media training for spokespeople of all backgrounds
- Build trust so you can give direct feedback to leaders, including those with positional power
- Make your training interactive and learner-friendly
- Prepare spokespeople for various types of engagements—including internal events, and broadcast, digital and print interviews
- Show the value of your training to those who think they have nothing to learn
- Help your spokesperson gain confidence or give him/her a reality check
Johnna Miller has been with the American Farm Bureau Federation for 19 years and currently serves as Director of Media and Advocacy Training in the Leadership, Education and Engagement Department. Johnna fills a unique training role that stems from her previous life as a general assignment reporter for television stations in North Carolina and West Virginia. She now uses her media background to design and offer media training, as well as advocacy and social media workshops to state Farm Bureau leaders and outside organizations including the National Corn Growers Association, the Pet Food Institute, and CropLife America. Johnna is also the coordinator of AFBF’s Partners in Advocacy Leadership program - a 2-year, executive level program to build stronger advocates and leaders for agriculture - and co-coordinator of the organization’s Grassroots Outreach Team. Johnna is a Colorado native and graduated from Boston University with a Bachelor of Science degree in broadcasting and film. (And she’s a big Denver Broncos fan.)