One thing that distinguishes speechwriters from other communicators is that we write not for the page or for ourselves but for another human being. Success is measured in large part on how well we capture our client’s objectives, thoughts, voice and style—which require personal interaction. Yet all too often, our organizations erect barriers—whether bureaucracy, culture, hierarchy, geography or turf-conscious bosses— that prevent that face-to-face meetings.
- Learn all you need to know before any meeting takes place
- Increase your chances of meeting with your speaker regularly—with few intermediaries
- Take advantage of the precious minutes when you do meet
- Get what you need when you can’t meet in person
- Move beyond access to building a productive relationship