Interactive Course No. 1: “The Fundamentals of Employee Communications”
The full content of this page is available to members only.
This course is part of an 8-part series for internal communicators, the first course in the comprehensive series on internal communications. Click here to see what’s available in the complete series.
In this first course you will learn the state of employee communications now and how the history of this industry helps predict its future.
In any of Shel’s courses, he demands that his audience think of how to put his ideas and tactics into hard practical action—the sooner the better. For example, at the end of this very first course, Shel Holtz confronts you with “four action items you can undertake right now”: (1) Acquaint yourself NOW with your company’s business plan and its 5-year strategic plan, if you don’t already know them. (2) Does your internal communications have measurable goals and key performance indicators (KPIs)? If not, develop some. (3) Does communication in your organization rely on cascade communications? Then list ways you can support that cascade. (4) Is your copy approval process stuck in the 20th century? Propose a new system that works for a real-time news world. Shel’s series is one long insistent call to real action, whether you’re a communications newbie or a 25-year practitioner.
Join in for this 90-minute interactive course and learn:
- How employee communications evolved from mostly ‘feel-good’ publications about personality profiles, recognition and awards in 1977 to publications about the business and aligning employees with goals in the 1990’sThe 4 basic types of employee communications
- How to get the ROI of employee communications: Shel’s step-by-step chartThe 3 core elements of effective employee communications
- The 4-step strategic planning process in employee communications
- Why the key goal of employee communications is NOT a communications goal
- 4 plausible fallacies of internal comms that assure NO communicating will happen (your boss has likely fallen victim to one of these delusions recently)
- 4 critical employee comms action items you can undertake right now
Shel Holtz is principal of Holtz Communication + Technology, consulting with organizations on content and communication strategies. He has written or co-written six communication books, and is a regular speaker on social media and other communication topics.